About Scoil Iósaf
Scoil Iósaf is an all girls primary school adjacent to the town centre of Newcastle West, Co. Limerick. The school is under the patronage of the Catholic Bishop of Limerick and offers a full range of classes from Junior Infants to Sixth Class.
The school is funded by the Department of Education and is governed by a Board of Management in accordance with the rules of the Department of Education and Science.
Scoil Iósaf is a happy, child-centered, friendly school. The staff is committed to the development of each pupil to her full potential. The school provides a supportive environment for pupils, parents and staff.
A Brief History
The Sisters of Mercy opened the first Convent School in Newcastle West on April 10th 1850. As the attendance grew it was decided to build a primary school and this was opened in 1887. It was from this beginning that Scoil Iósaf, as it stands today, emerged. In 1991 the first lay Principal was appointed and in December 1999 the Sisters of Mercy bid farewell to their involvement in education in Newcastle West.